A rice dish similar to risotto, this savory porridge is studded with vegetables and crushed, dried seaweed cubes. Experiment with other vegetables, as well as possibly herbs or protein, and see what other delicious combinations you can create!
Serves: 2 • Time: 30 minutes
- 2 vegetable dashi packs
- 4 cups water
- 1 cup white rice
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil, divided
- 1/2 medium onion, diced
- 1/2 medium carrot, diced
- 1 cup sake
- seaweed cubes, crushed
- salt, to taste
- Place water and 2 pouches of the vegetable dashi into a medium pot set over medium high heat and bring to a simmer. After 20 minutes, turn off heat, and place dashi aside to let it steep.
- Put the rice in a large bowl of cold water and rinse the rice until the water runs clear. Transfer the rice to a colander to drain.
- Set a medium sauté pan over medium-low heat. Add the oil and when it begins to shimmer, add onion and carrots. Season with salt and cook for 8-10 minutes, or the onions are tender and translucent.
- Add the rice and cook, stirring, for 5 minutes. If it seems a little dry, you can add another tablespoon of oil. Add sake and reduce until almost dry.
- Add the hot vegetable dashi, 2 cups at a time, letting the rice absorb each addition before adding more stock. Once you’ve added about a liter of dashi, after 20 minutes, the rice should be cooked all the way through, with no bite in the center.
- Add 2 tablespoons of soy sauce, season with salt, and mix well to blend.
- Serve and garnish with crushed seaweed cubes.