Makes: 12 to 14 buns • Time: 1 hour, plus 1 hour 30 minutes rising
Kanelbullar, or cinnamon buns, are one of the most popular pastries in Sweden. This recipe incorporates Hafi’s fruity lingonberry jam into the filling, making these pastries a delicious addition to breakfast or brunch. Feel free to swap the filling and experiment with your favorites: chocolate chips, fresh berries, nuts, or cinnamon-sugar are all great options.
For the dough:
- 1 cup milk
- 1½ sticks unsalted butter
- 1 packet active dry yeast
- 3 cups flour
- ⅓ cup sugar
- ½ tsp. ground cinnamon
- ¼ tsp. ground nutmeg
- Pinch of salt
For the filling:
- ½ stick unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 3 Tbsp. ground cinnamon
- One 5.3 oz. jar Hafi lingonberry jam
For the topping
- 1 egg yolk, beaten (optional)
- Pearl sugar (optional)
1. In a small saucepan over low heat, heat the milk and 1½ sticks butter until the butter is completely melted. Using a kitchen thermometer, take the temperature of the mixture and either heat it or allow it to cool in order to reach a temperature of 110°F. Stir in the yeast and let rest for 5 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, in a large bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt. Add the yeast mixture and stir to combine. Once the dough comes together, pour it out onto a floured surface and knead by hand for 10 minutes. Alternatively, use a stand mixer fitted with the dough hook for 5 minutes.
3. Transfer the dough to a large bowl, cover with a towel, and let rise until doubled in size, 1 to 2 hours.
4. Preheat the oven to 400°F. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
5. Flip the dough onto a floured surface. Roll it out into a large rectangle about ¼ inch thick. Spread the ½ stick butter and jam onto the dough, then sprinkle with cinnamon, taking care to spread the filling evenly and all the way to the edges.
6. To form the buns, fold down the top third of the dough over the middle, then fold up the bottom third. Using a knife or pizza cutter, slice the dough into strips. Tie each strip into a knot and arrange on the prepared baking sheets. Let rise 30 minutes more.
7. Brush the egg yolk onto the buns, then sprinkle with pearl sugar. Bake until browned, 20 to 25 minutes. Serve warm or at room temperature.