A delicious shredded potato ball studded with cracker crumbs, rich cheese, and bright parsley, these croquettes are an excellent option for an appetizer or dinner party. They’re fast and easy, and if the ham is omitted, totally vegetarian. They can also be sauteed or even baked for an alternate to deep frying.
- 2 ½ Tbsp. unsalted butter
- ¼ C all-purpose flour
- 1 3/4 whole milk
- 1/2 Gruyere cheese
- 1 C small diced ham
- 2 Tbsp. chopped parsley
- 1 potato, cooked, peeled, and grated
- 3 eggs
- ½ C crumbled crackers
- ¾ C breadcrumbs
- canola oil
- Over medium heat, melt butter in saucepan and whisk in flour. Continuously whisk until a wet sand consistency is reached.
- Cook for 30 seconds, whisking, then add milk, still whisking. The milk will thicken as it cooks. Whisk in Gruyere.
- Remove from heat and cool to room temperature.
- Fold in ham, parsley, and potato.
- Portion into tablespoon-sized balls.
- Set up a standard breaking procedure: one bowl of flour, one bowl of eggs, and one bow of crumbled crackers mixed with breadcrumbs.
- Fry in 350 °F oil until browned and crisped. Remove carefully, dry on paper towerl, and sprinkle with fleur de sel.