Serves: 6 • Time: 20 minutes, plus 1 hour 45 minutes baking and cooling
Rich and creamy with a subtle coffee flavor, this Peruvian-style flan is an update on the traditional recipe. Be sure to refrigerate the coffee flan immediately afterwards in order to ensure the best consistency. An hour in the refrigerator also helps to deepen the coffee flavor.
- ½ cup sugar
- 10 egg yolks
- One 14 oz. can condensed milk
- One 12 oz. can evaporated milk
- 3 Tbsp. La Colorada ground coffee
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and fill a deep baking sheet with ½ inch hot water.
- In a small saucepan over low heat, combine the sugar with 1 Tbsp. water. Once the sugar granules begin to dissolve, swirl the pan and raise the heat to moderate-high. Continue to swirl the saucepan and allow the sugar to turn into a deep, golden caramel, about 6 minutes, then quickly and carefully pour into 6 ramekins.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk the egg yolks with the condensed milk, evaporated milk, coffee, and vanilla extract. Pass through a fine mesh sieve and distribute into the 6 ramekins.
- Arrange the ramekins in the baking dish and bake until set, about 45 minutes. Allow to cool, then refrigerate until chilled, about 1 hour, and serve.