Serves: 4–6 • Time: 10 minutes
A quintessential Thai dish, tom yum soup is known for it’s medicinal and restorative properties (some say it’s a close rival to chicken noodle!). Here, Chef Jet Tila adds shrimp to the basic recipe included in Lumlum’s Tom Yum Soup Set, making it a more filling soup worthy of serving as a main. Tila prefers serving the dish with the whole spices, but feel free to strain them out if the pieces are too big or their flavors are too strong.
- 2 qts. chicken broth
- One 15 oz. can straw mushrooms, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup shrimp, peeled and deveined
- Lumlum Tom Yum Soup Set
- 6 Tbsp. fish sauce
- 6 Tbsp. fresh lime juice
- 3 Tbsp. chili paste in soybean oil (see Note)
- Cilantro sprigs, for garnish
1. Bring the chicken broth to a boil in a large pot over moderate heat. Reduce to a simmer. Add the mushrooms, shrimp, and Tom Yum Soup Set and cook until the shrimp turns pink, about 1 minute.
2. Remove the soup from the heat and stir in the fish sauce, lime juice, and chile paste. To serve, distribute into 4 to 6 serving bowls and garnish with cilantro.
Note: Chile paste in soybean oil is available in Asian grocery stores and online.