Serves: 4 • Time: 10–15 minutes
In this recipe, Chef George Mendes, curator of the Portugal Box, adds seafood to a light, spring greens salad. It’s the perfect showcase of the canned mackerel in your box—and an inventive way to use the fish. Feel free to swap out other varieties into this recipe.
- 1 tsp. plus 2 Tbsp. Olivais do Sul extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp. butter
- 3 Tbsp. whole blanched almonds
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground pepper, preferably white
- 1 Tbsp. raspberry vinegar
- 4 cups spring greens, such as arugula, cress, purslane, or pea shoots
- 1 shallot, thinly sliced
- One 2.4 oz. can Briosa Gourmet jack mackerel or spiced mackerel
- 3 Tbsp. sun-dried tomatoes, sliced
- Edible flowers (optional), for garnish
1. In a small skillet over moderate heat, heat 1 tsp. olive oil with the butter. Add the almonds and cook, stirring, until golden brown, about 1 minute. Transfer to a paper towel-lined plate to drain. Sprinkle the almonds with salt.
2. In a large bowl, whisk together the vinegar with the remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil. Season with salt and pepper. Add the greens and shallot and carefully toss to coat evenly.
3. To serve, distribute the greens onto 4 serving plates. Add the almonds, canned fish, and sun-dried tomatoes and garnish with the edible flowers.
This recipe is adapted from George Mendes’s My Portugal, published by Abrams Books in 2014. To purchase the book and discover more recipes by Chef Mendes, visit your local bookstore. The book will also be available on Try The World’s Shop soon!