Makes: 24 cookies • Time: 1 hour
Tempting sweets during the holiday season give us every excuse to indulge, and these cookies are no exception. Like thumbprint cookies, they are filled with a fruity filling that’s added into the cookie after it bakes. We like using Bazzar’s incredible dessert sauce, made from local açaí berries grown in Brazil.
- 1½ cups flour
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- ¼ tsp. salt
- ½ cup butter, softened
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 Tbsp. grated lemon zest
- ¾ cup finely chopped hazelnuts
- ⅓ cup Bazzar açaí sauce
1. Preheat the oven to 325°F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. Combine the flour, baking powder, and salt. In another bowl, beat the butter, sugar, egg, and lemon zest until light and creamy. Gradually add the flour mixture into the butter and sugar mixture and mix until combined.
3. Divide the dough into thirds. Roll each piece into a 12-inch log, then roll each log into the crushed hazelnuts. Transfer to the prepared baking sheet and flatten until ½ inch thick using your fingers. Carve a 1 to 1½-inch-wide indentation down the length of the log. Bake until golden brown, 16 to 18 minutes.
4. Cool for 15 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack. When cool, fill the indentations with 2 tablespoons açaí sauce and cut logs into 1-inch pieces.